Little Red Schoolhouse

Schoolhouse Storage Shed by

It's that time of year again!  My oldest son started kindergarten this year, and it got me thinking about how education has changed over the years.   Technology is rapidly evolving and so is the way we are teaching our children.  Chalkboards have been replaced with marker boards...which will most likely be replaced with  something even more high tech before we know it.  My five year old has already asked for an iPad.  Where am I going with this?  Even though most of us have never set foot in a little red schoolhouse, we still recognize it as the symbol for school. I believe we hold onto this icon, because it reminds us of a more simple time, a time when we were encouraged to learn through play. 

If you are thinking of building your own schoolhouse, there are several details to keep in mind when finishing out the interior.  Here are a few ideas to help give it that old schoolhouse feel:
  1. Display maps on the walls
  2. Globe
  3. Chalkboard
  4. Old vintage school desk
  5. Use yardsticks for a chair rail
  6. Cote rack
  7. Book shelf
  8. Place to store toys 
  9. Art supply area
  10. Microscope and area for science collection
  11. Don't forget the bell!
Should children have computers and video games int their playhouse?  Does it depend on their age?  I know how I feel about it, but would love to know what you think.  

I was surprised at the number of schoolhouse playhouses that I have discovered over the years.



 

 Habitat for Humanity

 Home Builders Care Arizona

Comments

Popular Posts