Build a Fort!


Humble Homes, Simple Shacks, Cozy Cottages, Ramshackle Retreats, Funky Forts and Whatever the Heck Else We Could Squeeze in Here  

I sat down to flip through this book for the first time with my 3 year old son in my lap.  I had no idea what we were about to discover.  There was a constant mommy look at this, look at that, ooh a dinosaur...I want that.  While I enjoyed his reaction, I really wanted the book all to myself.    The pages are like mini works of art,  a sort of illustrated thought process.  While this book is not a step by step how to book, it's sure to inspire some wildly creative projects. Page after page is filled with sketches, notes, and an occasional character.  Some of the designs are for children, some are for adults, but all are tiny.  Most of the projects in the book are budget friendly, some can even be made of scavenged materials.  The book itself is even handmade.    Derek Diedricksen has not only written a book, but is also building many of the designs.  His work was recently featured in the New York Times.  (Many great pictures there).  To order a copy or check out Derek's latest project head over to relaxshacks.com.

 The Gypsy Junker (one of several photographed by the New York Times) 

After reading this book you'll have no excuse!  You don't need tons of money to build a fort...just a bit of creativity and some time to scavenge.  If you've build a funky fort, send me pictures.  I know many of the playhouses featured here are professionally designed, but I'm always looking for great examples of homemade hideaways. 

 



handmade

Comments

Popular Posts