Playhouse Style: Look at Me



I have to admit, I have been dreading writing about this style, but I couldn't just ignore it, even if I wanted to. They are huge, sometimes obnoxious objects, that demand attention. As I forced myself to research, I quickly became fascinated.

Playhouses that resemble something else are in a category all of their own. These quirky creations take on wild forms challenging typical construction methods. They are eye catching objects in the landscape, and some are even considered sculptural. Materials and details vary drastically, but the one thing they all have in common is their sensitivity to scale. Large objects such as pirate ships decrease in size becoming more tailored to a child's proportions. Tiny objects are super sized allowing them to become inhabitable spaces. Both encourage children to use their imaginations to create worlds unlike any we could dream of.

The pineapple above was designed and built in 2007 for the Cottages for Kids fundraiser. The pirate's ship is from Posh Tots.

Comments

Popular Posts